The bathroom is a rather essential part of any home. And whilst you need it to be functional, it can also be a wonderful space to spend time in. If you’re a new homeowner and are looking to create a peaceful oasis but don’t know where to start, then look no further than our bathroom installation guide.
Why install a new bathroom?
From luxury ensuites and downstairs shower rooms to a full family bathroom, your bathroom space can really make a difference to your home. A new bathroom, built from high-quality materials, will not only run more efficiently than old ones but will also be easier to clean and maintain.
If you’re moving into a new home, bathroom refurbishment or installation can also help you put your own stamp on the property. A stylish bathroom can also improve your home’s value by 10%.
So, where to start?
Things to consider when installing a new bathroom
DIY or professional?
The first thing to consider is whether you want to do the work yourself or hire a professional bathroom designer or fitter. If you’re confident with your DIY and plumbing skills, then bathroom refurbishment can be an enjoyable and rewarding project.
However, hiring a bathroom designer and fitter can take the pressure off. They can do the hard work for you and will be able to guide you on issues such as building regulations.
If you have a short timeframe, a professional bathroom fitter can also ensure the work is done on time. In general, a simple bathroom installation can take a couple of weeks, while larger, more complex projects may take several.
Another significant consideration is your budget. How much do you have to spend, and how flexible can you be? Depending on the level of refurbishment you undertake, the average bathroom refit costs between £4,000 and £7,000.
Type of bathroom refurbishment project
Are you building a completely new bathroom? Are you overhauling an existing one and carrying out structural changes or just installing a new bathroom suite? These factors will all impact the cost, work level, and timeframe of your project. At Cambridge Bath Company, we can offer a fully comprehensive managed bathroom installation service and oversee any size project from start to finish.
Bathroom installation steps
When installing a new bathroom, you can usually expect the process to run in the following way:
- First, plan your budget and develop a bathroom brief — either by yourself or with a bathroom designer.
Find quotes from builders, then decide on which one to go with. They can help you finalise a schedule.
- Work with your bathroom fitter to select sanitaryware, materials and any fixtures and fittings. They will remove the existing bathroom (if applicable).
- The bathroom fitters will fix or replace any plumbing and electrics.
- Next, they’ll level walls, repair and plaster the ceiling and fit any other plastering, plasterboard or backboard tiling.
- The floor will then need to be levelled and waterproofed.
- After that, they’ll install any plumbed items, such as the toilet, bath, shower, basin and taps.
- Following the plumbing, it’s time to fix any wiring. This may include installing extractor fans, shaver points and underfloor heating, as well as lighting and light switches.
- Once everything has been installed, the bathroom fitter can add wall and floor tiling and complete any final decorative details.
- You’ll receive the necessary certification for your bathroom, and it will be ready for you to enjoy!
Your dream bathroom
From initial design to final touches, we’re here to help you build a bathroom you’ll love. At The Cambridge Bath Company, we have a team of dedicated bathroom designers and fitters who can deliver affordable, high-quality installations across Cambridgeshire. Why not give us a call to discuss your project?